Anyone with a front or back garden naturally wants to ensure that the area is safe, particularly if there are youngsters or elderly people at home.
However, there are various things that can pose dangers in your outdoor spaces, and this includes tree stumps.
In addition to being an eyesore, these stumps can increase the chances of trips, falls, and accidents. They can also cause a range of other issues such as spreading disease to other plants and trees around your garden.
That’s why you’ll be needing one of the best tree stump killers to get rid of it for good!
Our Top 5 Best Tree Stump Killers:
We’ve Featured In:
One of the most effective ways of doing removing tree stumps is by finding the best tree stump killer, and there are various options you can choose from.
Using the right products on your tree stumps will help you to eliminate the problem with greater speed and efficiency. In this article, we will look at some of the top picks when it comes to the best tree stump killer for 2020.
#1: Roundup Tree Stump Weedkiller
- Each pack can kill up to 16 tree stumps
- Can also kill nettles, brambles, ivy, Japanese knotweed, and saplings
- Comes with a pipette for the treatment of knotweed
- Kills right down to the root to prevent recurring issues
- No harmful residue to worry about
- Makes up to 25 spray litres
- Comes with excellent reviews
- Affordable pricing
What to Consider:
- Avoid contact with eyes and skin
- Ensure all safety information is read and adhered to
- Should be used February to November
- Be careful around plants you want to keep
- Keep children and pets away from areas that have been treated until the product has dried
- Our pick as the best tree stump killer
#2: Vitax SBK Tree Stump Killer Concentrate
- Very affordable pricing
- Up to eight stumps per pack can be treated
- Kills down to the root to eliminate recurring growth
- Can be used on tough weeds
- Glyphosate-free product
- Impressive reviews from consumers
- Can be used on woody weeds and hardwood saplings
- Concentrated solution can be diluted and then painted, sprayed, or applied with a watering can
- Easy to use product
What to Consider:
- Use in autumn and winter for treating of tree stumps
- Use between June and August for woody weeds
- Only allow pets and children into the area once the solution has dried
- Ensure you read all safety information before using
- Our 2nd best option for the best tree stump killer
#3: Resolva Xtra Tough Tree Stump Killer Sachets
- Kills a range of vegetation including tree stumps
- Effectively kills tree stumps
- Comes in a soluble formula
- Simple to use and efficient
- Pre-measured sachets for convenience
- Excellent reviews
- An extra tough formula
- No need for burning or other solutions
What to Consider:
- Two pre-measured sachets per pack
- Can be purchased in bigger pack sizes
- Always read safety information before use
- Comes in a liquid formula
- Use on tree stumps between November and March
- Use of weeds from March to October
#4: Copper Tree Stump Killer Nails
- Large-sized copper nails
- Choice of quantities to suit your needs
- Very affordable option
- High purity copper for maximum impact
- 65mm in length
- 3.35mm in thickness
- Deeper penetration due to the length of the nail
- A simple method of killing tree stumps
What to Consider:
- The bigger the tree, the more copper nails you will need
- Longer nails will more easily kill the stump
- Always remove the nails before removing the tree stump once it has died
#5: SBM Life Science Bayer Garden Tree Stump Killer
- Tough formula for maximum efficiency
- Natural breakdown in the soil so you can replant
- Pre-measured sachets for convenience and ease
- Kills tree stumps with powerful solution
- Works on other vegetation such as brambles and brushwood
- Each pack contains three sachets
- Great reviews from users
What to Consider:
- One sachet kills one tree
- Can be poured or painted onto the tree stump
- Make sure you read all safety information before use
Tips on Choosing the Best Tree Stump Killer
When it comes to finding the best tree stump killer for your needs, there are various factors you should take into consideration. This will make it easier for you to find the right one for your individual needs. Some of the main factors you need to consider are:
One of the things you need to look at when choosing a tree stump killer for your outdoor area is the cost of the product. Prices can vary from one product to another, so make sure you keep an eye on this.
However, make sure you also look at the other key factors detailed below rather than focusing on price alone.
Another thing you should do is to check reviews from other people who have already used the product. This will make it much easier for you to decide which one is worth investing in, as you can use the experiences of other people to help you make your choice.
Make sure you look at a range of reviews to see what others thought about the effectiveness and ease of use.
Ease of Use
Different types of tree stump killer products are used in different ways, some more convenient and simple than others.
So, in order to ensure you get the product that is right for you, make sure you look at the direction to determine how easy and convenient it is to use. This is something you can do easily online.
One additional thing to look at is the quantity or capacity of the pack. For instance, you may find some tree stump killers that are more expensive but can kill more tree stumps with a single pack than others.
So, in order to get a better idea of value for money, check the details carefully before making your choice.
How Do You Stop a Tree Stump from Growing?
One question that many people are keen to know the answer to is how to stop a tree stump from growing. When you cut down a tree, the stump and roots can grow, and this could leave you facing the same problem again a few years down the line.
Trees such as sycamore and ash are known for regrowth and the production of seedlings. There are also other trees that can regrow such as acacia and eucalyptus.
One of the things you can do is to dig the stump up. Another option is to get a stump grinding professional out to grind it down.
As mentioned above, there are also various products that you can use to kill off the tree stump, and the best tree stump killers work deep down to ensure there is no regrowth to worry about.
Why Should You Remove/Kill Tree Stumps?
There are numerous reasons why you should remove or kills tree stumps in your outdoor area. Some of the key reasons you need to do this include:
- They look unsightly and can make your garden look an eyesore
- Stumps can pose a trip and fall hazard in your garden
- Accidents can be worse if someone hits their head off the stump if they fall
- They can spread disease to other plants and trees nearby
- They can cause damage to your home because of the roots
- Stumps can spread decay and attract pests
These are some of the many reasons it is important to get rid of tree stumps in your outdoor areas.
Fortunately, with the help of specialist products such as those outlined above, this is something you can do with far greater ease these days. So, you can improve the aesthetic appeal of your garden as well as improving safety and protecting your garden and home.
How Long Does It Take for Tree Stumps to Decompose?
After cutting down a tree, some people decide they will wait it out until the tree stump decomposes. However, this is not a good idea, particularly if you have plans for the area of land the tree stump is rooted in.
The first thing to remember is that, depending on the type of tree it is, you could see regrowth. So, rather than disappearing, the tree stump could put you right back at square one.
Obviously, this is something you want to avoid, so it is best to use a product that works deep down to destroy the roots and prevent regrowth.
Another thing to keep in mind is that tree stumps can take an astonishing amount of time to decompose, with some taking up to ten years!
If you want to get your garden into shape, improve safety for the kids, or use the ground for something else, this is not really a reasonable amount of time to wait. Again, using the right products will help to kill the tree stump swiftly and efficiently.
The Bottom Line
So, as you can see there are lots of tree stump killer products that you can turn to if you want to make short work of what was once a difficult task.
These products can help to get your garden looking neater and tidier, help reduce the risk of nasty accidents, and help to protect your home by eliminating tree stumps.
All you need to do is to find the right tree stump killer for your needs, and the ones highlighted above are great options. They all have great reviews from other consumers, so you can purchase and use them with confidence.
Simply ensure you follow the directions and safety precautions carefully, and you can make far lighter work of getting rid of tree stumps.